Thanksgiving – a time to spend with family and friends, giving thanks for everything we have in this beautiful journey called life.
Thanksgiving has to be my favorite holiday of all time. I love the meaning of Thanksgiving, love being with my family, and LOVE the food. The delicious aromas of turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, soup, and stuffing is enough to put me in the mood for the holidays. I just love it. But, with the award-winning dinners, we must also think about our libations. Wine is always an option. But, let’s discuss some delicious cocktails we can make to share with our loved ones.
Warm Cider Rum Punch
- 8 cups apple cider
- 1 apple, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 orange, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups dark rum
Directions: Combine the cider, apple, orange, cinnamon sticks and ginger in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Transfer to a pitcher or bowl and serve warm!
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/3 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Champagne or other dry white sparkling wine, chilled
- 24 ounces ginger ale, chilled
Directions: Combine the juice and liqueur and divide among 8 Champagne flutes. Top with equal parts Champagne and ginger ale. Simple!
- 8 cups ginger beer
- 2 cups vodka
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- 8 thin lime slices
Directions: Combine ginger beer, vodka, and lime juice in a large pitcher or bowl and stir to combine. Fill glasses with ice, pour in the drink, and garnish with lime!
Hot Apple Ginger Toddy
- 6 oz. ginger-infused apple cider
- Thin slice of fresh ginger or one piece of crystallized, candied ginger
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 oz. bourbon (Maker’s Mark or Jim Beam are preferred)
- Slice of lemon
Directions: To make the ginger infused cider start by peeling and chopping ginger. Bring the cider to a boil and add several pieces of the ginger. Turn off heat and steep for 30 minutes. Puree this mixture and strain. Refrigerate until making cocktails. Then, heat the cider back up when ready to make drinks, but do not boil. Add bourbon, stir in honey, and serve. Garnish with lemon and a slice of ginger or ginger candy.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving!