Top 10 Things to do on a Snow Day
FINALLY!!! After what seems like has been forever since your last day off of work for a holiday, you get an unexpected day off thanks to mother nature. While a snow day isn’t quite what it was when we were kids, it’s still one of those little things in life that can make you instantly happy. After your initial jubilation of getting the call that you don’t have to go into work wears off you have to figure out what you’re going to do with the rest of your day. If you have kids, you’re screwed and don’t get to actually enjoy your snow day, sorry. As for everyone else, there’s plenty you can do to keep yourself entertained, here are some of my favorites along with some you might find fun.
- Sleep. What’s better than getting to sleep in on a weekday when you would normally be at work counting down the hours till you get to go home and get right back into bed? Thats right nothing. You can sleep in till a reasonable hour, get up and get some stuff done and then nap. For my money, the nap is better than the sleeping in part.
- Drink. Maybe you already slept in and now you’re wired, but have nothing to do, well what do you do on the weekends when all your friends are also off work? You probably go out drinking, so why not get together on your snow days and enjoy a mid-week adult beverage, or several? (…Even better if the snow day is a Friday)
- NETFLIX. You’ve been too busy on the weekends to catch up on a season of some show all your friends talk about, but you’ve never even seen a single episode and feel like you’re missing out (everyone tells you you have to watch _____). Well now you have an unexpected day of nothingness and can binge watch anything your heart desires.
- Cleaning. This certainly doesn’t fall into the fun category, but if you’ve been putting off cleaning your house or apartment because you’ve been busy with work or actually doing fun things, now is the time to get it out of the way. You’ll probably feel good about yourself for actually cleaning, but then get depressed that you spent your snow day cleaning.
- Get a start on your New Year’s resolutions. Depending on your New Year’s resolution this may or may not be feasible. If it’s to start going to the gym/working out you can get this out of the way and be proud of yourself for finally working out. Maybe its to pick up some obscure talent like knitting, well you have all day so you should be a pro by the time you’re in the office tomorrow.
- Read. Time to whip out that book you’ve been meaning to read and either finish it from front to back or at least give yourself a nice head start. (In this scenario, I’m assuming your power is out or you don’t like to have fun.)
- Taxes. While you may be thinking to yourself right now that you have plenty of time to do your taxes, you should also be telling yourself you know you won’t do them till the last minute. Get them out of the way on your snow day now so you can brag/mock to all your friends while they panic about getting them done in time.
- Organize. Finally you have an entire day to clear out that drawer (or drawers) full of stuff you’ve been hiding away to make it seem like you’re organized. You can also use your snow day to pay your bills so you don’t have to worry about doing it later in the month.
- Go sledding/build a snowman. There’s no better time to channel your inner child than on a snow day. Snow days were quite possibly the best thing that could happen to you as a kid, so why not try to enjoy your adult snow day as you once did?
- Online shopping. Not exactly my cup of tea, but for all you degenerate shoppers out there that can’t get to your favorite mall or store, you can hit up the good ole internet and shop your heart out. You can even justify it by telling yourself you’re getting paid to shop so technically everything is free.
Enjoy your snow day and stay safe!
The barHappy Team