WINE AND HALLOWEEN CANDY PAIRINGS
Halloween falls on a Monday this year…the beginning of a workweek. Although it is more acceptable to celebrate Halloween on the weekend, I believe a little wine while handing out candy to the trick or treaters is super acceptable. After all, it is a holiday! And in case you have collected more candy than you know what to do with, here are some fantastic ideas for wine and candy pairings…Enjoy!
Image from Image by adweek.com.
- Milk Chocolate – Merlot and Pinot Merlot are the best type of vino to pair milk chocolate with.
- Dark Chocolate- Any dark chocolate and high percentage cocoa bars pair well with more robust flavored wines. A good California Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, or Port can pair well with dark chocolate.
- White Chocolate- White chocolate does not contain cocoa, which makes it easier to pair with a lot of different wine. Rosé, Port, Ice Wine, Muscato, and Rosé Port pair very well with white chocolate.
- Candy Corn- There are two different routes you can take for pairings with candy corn. Since candy corn is so sweet, you can try to find a Port that compliments or exceed the sweetness. If you are looking to offset the sweetness of the candy, you could try a Vino Verde, which has a natural sparkly citrus taste that cuts the sweetness of the candy corn.
- Sour Patch Kids- Pinot Grigio pairs nicely with these tangy, sour candies. The floral, lightness of the Pinot Grigio compliments the sour pucker punch you get with these candies.
- Candy Apples- Anything caramel pairs nicely with buttery chardonnays. If you were having caramel chocolates, then you would go with more of a dark, butter, caramelized wine such as a late harvest Pinot Noir, Banyuls, or Australian Shiraz.
ENJOY AND HAVE A SAFE HALLOWEEN!